Tuesday 13 March 2012

Worth a Laugh

Laughter, I read in a magazine this week, boosts your mood. Maybe that’s a bit of a chicken-or-the-egg statement, but the idea was that, amongst other things, if you’re feeling a bit down, you could try organising some laughter for yourself.

It’s incredible, laughter has been attributed the power to relieve stress and tension, boost your immune system, relieve pain, trigger endorphins (happy hormones!) and even improve blood vessel function, protecting your heart.

How much of this is true I can’t say, but you do feel better after a good laugh don’t you? We presented the story of Abraham and Sarah having a baby in their old age at the school assembly this morning. They thought Sarah couldn’t have children and that God’s promise of a child was laughable - then when the baby came they laughed with joy. They even called him “Isaac” which means “laughter”.

Abraham and Sarah knew that a busy home, full of family and laughter is a blessing. For me, friends and family make me laugh more than anything I watch on TV, so I try to spend as much time with them as I can. Fellowship is for our benefit. Have you spent much time around the people who make you laugh the most recently? Maybe you need to take the initiative and make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment