Tuesday 9 October 2012

When you don't feel like a champion!


I hope you won't mind if I use my blog this week to ask for prayer.

As I think about my congregation today, particularly those who serve a lot in the church, I can think of a lot of people who could use a bit of extra strength at this time, something to cheer them and help them along.

God can refresh people in a way that nothing else can so if you could take a moment to pray for His help for the attendees of Bures Baptist Church that would be great.

I have spoken to various people recently who are either exhausted, grieving, ill, in difficult practical circumstances, feeling worn down, stressed at work, lacking direction or any combination of the above.

It does make me sad to see people like that, especially when those people are my church family, people I care about, serve alongside and see week in week out.

I've said it so much that I think it's probably a cliché in my sermons now, but being a Christian is not about having an easy life. I thought this the other day, as I was driving my car and singing along to "We Are The Champions" at the top of my voice! While it is a very gleefully arrogant song, there is something quite profound about it. Life is hard, and a little defiance in the face of it is probably quite helpful sometimes. So try belting out, "We'll keep on fiiiiighting to the eeeeeend," when you have the opportunity!

Christians believe that life is a fight. A fight with forces of darkness to help bring about the goodness of God's plans on this Earth. And sometimes it can really feel like it too.

You can spend all your time trying to keep up with your commitments and being a good employee/family member/Christian etc, and find that life is getting you down.

You are in a fight.

Your strength is in God. Not in effort or busyness. Take time out to focus on Him and ask for refreshing, He will be there for you. Things won't always feel this way, but you will need to go back to Him time and again to ask for His help.  And as you do that, remember that I'm praying for you, and so are other readers of my blog now!  

________________________________________________________________________

Interested in more?
Check out some of our Sunday sermons at: http://www.buresbaptistchurch.org/sermon_catchup.php


1 comment:

  1. A Little book I find helpful is Colour in the Darkness by Pam Norman. x J

    ReplyDelete