Tuesday 29 May 2012

Becoming a Rev?


An update for all you Bures Baptist fans.

On the off-chance that you’ve been reading my blog since I began it, you will be aware that I took up the post of Lay (unaccredited) Pastor of Bures Baptist Church last June. Since then, with God’s help I’ve been muddling my way through.

Well, today I had the second part of an interview that started in May last year, with the Baptist Union, to see if I could be recommended for ministerial training. I’ve been doing some theological study from home, but this would be ministry training. Training that might eventually make me a real “Rev”!

I’m happy to report that the panel were satisfied this year that it is my calling and they will be recommending me to study at Spurgeon’s College! This is great news, and providing my application to the college is successful I shall be happily beating a path through the library and the lecture theatres to a dog collar sometime soon. (Figuratively speaking. I don’t think I actually have to wear a dog collar...).

It’s an exciting thought being in a training programme alongside other new pastors like myself, although I’m sure there’s a lot of hard work ahead of me! Thanks to everyone who prayed for me and for the interview.

In other news: We had to cancel youthclub this week because the rascals damaged a car in our car park last time (respect our neighbours youthies!), we’re joining in with the big service at the Parish Church on Sunday which begins the village’s celebrations for the Queen’s Jubilee, and we have an awesome new monthly newsletter out, which this time has a great feature on our Footprints Toddler Group. Just another week in the life of an unaccredited-but-maybe-one-day-will-be-accredited-lay pastor... 

No comments:

Post a Comment