Tuesday 12 June 2012

Too much on to be a servant?


My word for the day this week has been a series focusing on being ‘servant-hearted’. Not finding any task “below” you, because Jesus didn’t. He washed the feet of his friends and died as a criminal for them. Jesus was the greatest authority ever to walk this Earth, how does our status compare to that?

Sometimes I don’t want to do menial tasks, perhaps not because I think they are above me, but because I think I have more important things to do. That is a difficult balance. This morning I have a blog to write, and studies to get on with, but I also have a lot of preparatory work to do for my college interview which is likely to be sooner than I thought. I also have our 9-13s club to prep for Friday and obviously a service to prepare later in the week. But it’s just me holding the fort at toddler group this morning, so I have lots of mums and children to see and at the end of it all, rather a lot of toys to put away, and a nappy bin to empty.

I don’t think clearing up etc is below me, I do it most weeks (although usually with 1 or 2 others) but it’s seems odd to me that this should be God’s priority, in a week when so much is on. But various people are away, so it seems like the toys and the nappy bins are my responsibility this week and God is going to have to take care of the rest.

Ever feel like that? Lots of important tasks looming over you but you don’t seem to be able to get much further than the nappy bin? Maybe God is teaching you (and me) something about humility, something about trusting Him.  I don’t know how or when half of these things will get done, but I keep praying God will help me organise my time and I believe He will.

In the mean time, perhaps it will turn out the menial WAS the important and the ‘important’, well God had it in hand all along. Afterall, “God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; [and] the weak things of the world to shame the strong.” (1 Corinthians 1:27), He’s used to things being a bit topsy turvy.

Anyway, time to get out of the office and back to these toddlers!

1 comment:

  1. Just so you know what happened - the mums were brilliant today, seeing that I was by myself, they all chipped in and did loads of tidying so I wasn't left with hours of work to do at the end - thank you ladies, that was such a blessing.
    Funny how these things work out.
    Cath

    ReplyDelete